Ben In Ghana has moved!

And transformed into The Borrowed Bicycle. You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://theborrowedbicycle.ca/
and update your bookmarks. Thanks for helping make this as painless a transition as possible!

Monday, June 12, 2006

Ask a Ghanaian!

I’ve just had a rare good thought. One of my goals for this summer was to try to find some way to bring back the ‘overseas experience’ to Canada as effectively as possible. It always bugged me that I felt like the people who had been overseas knew something that I didn’t, but that as hard as I’ve tried, I haven’t figured out what it is. Thus, it became one of my goals this summer to figure out exactly what that ‘something’ is, and how to bring it back. During a subsequent conversation with Louis, EWB’s West African wealth of knowledge and insight, he challenged me to think of the goal in terms of what change comes about after someone goes through the ‘overseas experience’ and to try to find away to create that same behaviour change in people.

Well, I haven’t yet come up with all of my specific impacts, but I was thinking of ways that a person overseas gets to experience development that a person in Canada doesn’t, that might lead to this eventual ‘overseas experience’. One of the most obvious things is just talking to Ghanaians! Every day I get the chance to talk to Ghanaians, development champions, regular kids, people walking down the street, etc. Thus, I would like to propose a new section of the blog entitled (drum roll please…) Ask a Ghanaian!

Post any questions you might have that I can ask a Ghanaian about as a comment to this post and I’ll do my best to ask someone in my neighbourhood, at work, or in a village what they think. I’ll compile the answers every so often, and try to post them as soon as I get around to connecting to the internet again. At the same time, know that I’m totally using you for interesting, probing development questions that will make my time in Ghana just that much better. Thanks in advance!

4 comments:

Tony said...

I'd be really curious to know what they think a tyical day in the life of a North American is like.

Megan said...

Awesome idea Ben, I'm totally stealing it for my blog!

So my question is - what would the people you talk to change about the way foreign NGOs do their work in Ghana? And I'm really looking forward to the answer to your dad's question.

ben-in-ghana said...

Wow! That was fast, thanks for the great questions! I'm about to go on a village stay for a week so hopefully I can answer a few of these by the time I get back!

Tony said...

I recently read a news article about old women being banished from the community as witches in Ghana and wanted to see what you could find out about this.